Clyda Hold nerve to edge past Kinsale 2012-09-10 12:37:00

Clyda hold nerve to edge past Kinsale

By Denis Hurley, Cork Premier IFC

Monday, September 10, 2012

Clyda Rovers 1-16 Kinsale 2-11 (after extra time)
It was a close-run thing, but Clyda Rovers, defeated Premier IFC finalists in the past three years, reached this year's quarter-finals after they edged out Kinsale in a fourth-round replay at Blarney on Saturday.

A goal from Michael Scully in the first half had helped Kinsale to a half-time lead (1-5 to 0-7), but the game looked to be Clyda's when an error by Kinsale goalkeeper Craig Hackett led to an Oliver O'Hanlon goal for a 1-11 to 1-8 lead in the 55th minute.

The excellent Brian Coughlan came good for Kinsale in injury-time, however, when he grabbed the equalising goal that sent the game into extra time. Though Clyda never trailed in the additional 20 minutes, a Cian Conway save from Seán O'Brien was absolutely crucial.

Despite having lost to Bantry Blues in the first round and been under pressure at times in both games against Kinsale, Clyda now find themselves in the last eight with a tie to come against St Michael's.

Importantly for them, all their big players performed when required. Cork stars Ray Carey and Paudie Kissane excelled in the second half of normal time and James Murphy landed nine points, with his place-kicking impeccable.

It was not a perfect performance, though, as poor shooting let them down at times while over-elaboration also proved costly. Kinsale were far more efficient with fewer chances, Coughlan standing up when required, with his brother David superb in midfield while David Ward worked incredibly hard.

Kinsale led by 0-3 to 0-1 early on but Murphy frees had enabled Clyda to regain the lead before Scully, found by Niall McCarthy, surged through the defence and, though he was dispossessed, managed to fire past Conway for a 1-4 to 0-5 lead.

David Coughlan ensured Kinsale led at the break but neither side led by more than a point as the second half developed. Brian Coughlan levelled at 0-11 to 1- 8 in the 51st minute before disaster struck for Kinsale. O'Hanlon's point effort was dropping short but Hackett took his eye off the ball and it trickled between the keeper's legs.

Though Brian Coughlan again pointed, Clyda looked to have sewn things up when Ray Carey fisted over after he had continued on his run following a nice link-up with Declan Roche.

There was time for one last Kinsale attack, though, and when Cian Quigley sent in a beautiful delivery, Brian Coughlan took the ball down and fired home from close range to force extra-time.

In that, Clyda had now come to dominate midfield but couldn't make the advantage count, only leading by a point when Kinsale sub Seán O'Brien cut through the cover as things opened up for him. He went for goal and struck his shot well, but Conway pulled off a great save and while Conor O'Brien levelled in the second period, two Murphy points gave Clyda breathing space again, and they held out to progress.

Scorers for Clyda Rovers: J Murphy 0-9 (0- 6f , 0-1 45), O O'Hanlon 1-1, P Kissane 0-2, P O'Mullane, N O'Mullane, C Flanagan, R Carey 0-1 each.

Scorers for Kinsale: B Coughlan 1- 2, G Finn 0- 3f , M Scully 1- 0, C O'Brien 0-2, D Coughlan, B Gray, D Ward, D Murphy 0-1 each.

CLYDA ROVERS: C Conway; K Fitzgerald, C Kenny, J Fitzgerald; G Carey, R Carey, O O'Hanlon; F O'Shea, P Kissane; C Flanagan, J O'Hanlon, P O'Mullane; N O'Mullane, C O'Sullivan, J Murphy.

Subs: C Lane for J O'Hanlon (41), J Fitzgerald for O'Shea (51), D Roche for C O'Sullivan (58), M O'Brien for P O'Mullane (60), C O'Sullivan for N O'Mullane (half-time in extra time), C Ronayne for G Carey (80).

KINSALE: C Hackett; N McCarthy, M O'Sullivan, M Scully; J Wright, R O'Sullivan, C Quigley; B Coughlan, D Coughlan; D Ward, A Gould, D Murphy; C O'Brien, B Gray, G Finn.
Subs: C Lane for C O'Brien (13, injured), S O'Brien for Gould (40), N Stanley for Gray (55), C O'Sullivan for Murphy (58), Murphy for Quigley (76), O'Brien for Lane, M Eaton for Wright (both half-time in extra time).

Referee: J Ryan (Macroom).

Back to top