JUnior B North Cork Final 2013-08-03 19:55:00

North Cork Champions





Clyda Rovers bridged a 13 year gap when they won a hard fought JB2 final on Saturday 27th July in Doneraile.  Superbly lead by corner back Pa Forde, the team showed great determination to overcome a tough Ballyclough team.  Right from throw-in the midfield of Oliver O'Hanlon and Maurice O'Brien worked hard to secure possession and provide a platform for the forwards to show their skills.  The early exchanges were tough and hard and scores were hard to come by.  But full-forward Daniel O'Callaghan lead the way with a 3rd minute point.  James Murphy then scored the first of his tally of 1-8 and Clyda began to warm to their task.  O'Brien showed why he is such a hero in west by chipping over a sweet point following a determined run up-field.  Goalkeeper Cian Conway was getting good distance on his kick-outs and this allowed the midfield to compete for the football.  The Clyda half back line of Conor Crowley, Ray Carey and William Cronin stood firm in the face of a determined Ballyclough attack.  Half forwards Diarmuid Ronayne and Chris O'Connell were providing good support and the inside forwards Christy Roche and Tadhg O'Connor were getting to the ball and creating scoring opportunities.  But Ballyclough were not going to be rolled over and by the 20th minute they had clawed their way back in to game and the teams were level after a good Ballyclough goal.  The teams exchanged scores again but by half time Clyda had restored their lead to go in at the break 5 points to the good after a speculative shot from Murphy dropped into the Ballyclough net.

The second half saw no let up in effort from either side.  The fullback line of Darragh Walsh, Cathal Greene and Pa Forde defended stoutly and no quarter was asked or given.  Injuries to Carey and O'Connell saw the introduction of Sean O'Connor and Kevin Roche to the fray with no let up in effort.  Entering the final quarter Ballyclough gave it one last effort but the team's goalscorer-in-chief Tadhg O'Connor showed his class to drill home a great goal and ease the tension.  The introduction of fresh legs and the smell of the winning post saw Clyda wind the clock down the game ended as it began with a great score from distance by Daniel O'Callaghan.  And so a season that began with loss at home to Ballyclough on a cold February evening and wound its way around the highways and byways of North Cork ended with a well deserved victory over the same team.  The selectors would like to thank everyone for their effort and hope it's a double celebration for those involved with the intermediate team.

The team lined out as follows:

Cian Conway, Darragh Walsh, Cathal Greene, Pa Forde, Conor Crowley, Ray Carey, William Cronin, Maurice O'Brien, Oliver O'Hanlon, Diarmuid Ronayne, Chris O'Connell, James Murphy, Christy Roche, Daniel O'Callaghan, Tadhg O'Connor

Subs used: Sean O'Connor (temp), Kevin Roche (temp), Donal Stack, Billy Mulcahy, Diarmuid O'Shea, Neilus Harold and Seamus Madden


Back to top