Clyda keep heads to hold off Blues 2013-08-19 13:01:00

Clyda Rovers v Bantry By Denis Hurley


Clyda Rovers 0-08 Bantry Blues 0-07
   Clyda Rovers reached the quarter-finals of the Premier IFC by beating Bantry Blues at Kilmichael last night, but they had to endure a few nervous moments before the final whistle.

For the fifth successive year, the Mourneabbey side are in the last eight and they deservedly advance after playing the better football, but they could easily have let it slip.

  Playing with a strong first-half wind, Clyda had the majority of the possession, but still only went in level at 0-3 each at half-time after kicking some very bad wides.

  While a rejigging of personnel for the second period gave greater purpose to their play, they never fully shook off Bantry and the West Cork side quarried two late points to bring them to within one.

  Ultimately, Clyda held on to possession, as they did for long stretches of the game, to claim victory and a meeting with Glenville in the quarter-finals.

  Imposing themselves physically from the off, Clyda built up a lead as Pádraig O'Mullane, Fionn O'Shea and Cian O'Sullivan all scored, and the Bantry backs looked vulnerable as James Murphy and Conor O'Sullivan also looked like creating openings.

  Much of the approach work was going to waste, however, and Declan Barron got Bantry off the mark with a free before setting up Michael O'Sullivan for another in the 27th minute.

  When a Barron ball from deep allowed O'Sullivan to tie matters in injury-time, Clyda must have been wondering if it was going to be one of those nights, but the relocation of Paudie Kissane to centre-forward for the second half allowed him to run more directly at the Bantry defence - and Murphy and Cian O'Sullivan gave them a cushion once more.

  One of the few goal chances fell to Bantry wing-back Seán O'Leary from a neat Niel Canty pass, but he shot over in the 43rd minute. Gavin O'Shea levelled again on three-quarters, but they could not kick on, with Ruairí Deane unable to generate his usual surging runs and Graham Canty not as dominant in the air as in the first half.

Instead, Clyda pushed clear once more, Conor Flanagan benefiting from a move to full-forward as he twice pointed after fielding deliveries, and then sub Chris Buckley left three in it as the 60-minute mark approached.

  Deane's close-in free, coupled with a good Barron point following sub David Power's hard work, did give Bantry the scent of a draw, but no equalising chance could be engineered.

  To their credit, Clyda kept their composure to work the ball out and ensure they did not squander victory.

Scorers for Clyda Rovers: C Flanagan, Cian O'Sullivan 0-2 each, C Buckley, J Murphy (1f), F O'Shea, P O'Mullane 0-1 each.

Scorers for Bantry Blues: M O'Sullivan, D Barron (1f) 0-2 each, R Deane (1f), G O'Shea, S O'Leary 0-1 each.

  CLYDA ROVERS: C Conway; N O'Mullane, R Carey, C Kenny; K Fitzgerald, F O'Shea, O O'Hanlon; J O'Hanlon, P Kissane; Conor O'Sullivan, C Flanagan, G Carey; Cian O'Sullivan, P O'Mullane, J Murphy.

  Subs: C Buckley for P O'Mullane (34), M O'Brien for J O'Hanlon (46).

   BANTRY BLUES: D Murray; J O'Leary, K Harrington, K Deane; S O'Leary, D O'Sullivan, N Canty; G Canty, P Daly; G O'Shea, T Downey, R Deane; M O'Sullivan, D Barron, D Casey.

  Subs: D Power for Casey (47), J Harrington for O'Leary, C O'Leary for Downey (both 54), K Casey for Daly (60).

  Referee: J Ryan (Macroom).

Back to top